- Tree-lined with outstanding views of the Kiski River and Loyalhanna Creek.
- Moderate grades for 2.5 miles. Rolling grades between Slickville and Delmont.
- Shares a trailhead with the West Penn Trail in Saltsburg.
Westmoreland Heritage Trail
This classic rail-trail packs a lot of features into the nine miles between the West Penn Trail and Delmont! Outstanding assets include the natural beauty of this tree-lined path, substantial bridges providing scenic views of the Kiskiminetas River and Loyalhanna Creek, a 100-foot tunnel underneath PA 981 that displays colorful murals on its walls, a bridge crossing that provides views of Beaver Run Reservoir, picnic facilities near Slickville and convenient eateries.
The Westmoreland Heritage Trail begins spectacularly. After diverging from the West Penn Trail in Saltsburg, it crosses the Kiskiminetas River, runs underneath PA 981 then crosses and provides outstanding views of the pretty Loyalhanna Creek. The trail is nearly level until the halfway point near the Sara Steele Trailhead, then climbs moderately up to Slickville. Rolling, gradual climbs continue for another 3.5 miles from Slickville to WHT’s Athena Drive trailhead just north of Delmont.
View Westmoreland Heritage Trail in a larger map
- About 2.5 miles of the trail from the Sara Steele Trailhead to Slickville involve moderate grades.
- Road crossings with flashing warning systems.